My own experience with nutritional supplements is that recovery is virtually impossible without them. Sometimes, I did not notice immediate benefits, but when I stopped taking them I felt a decline in energy after a few weeks.
The ten supplements most frequently recommended by CFS/ME physicians are:
1) An all-round nutritional supplement (multi-vitamin and minerals)
2) Vitamin B-12
6) Fish Oil
7) Vitamin C
8) Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs)
9) Vitamin D3
These are the standard supplements that nearly every CFS/ME physician will instruct you to take at one point or another. I have taken all of them, and each has provided some benefit. But there are a few that I cannot do without.
Here are the five supplements which have benefited me the most:
1) Fish oil - I take the enteric-coated form, Fisol. This was of immediate benefit to me, and I've taken it every day for five years.
2) B complex vitamins - I take these in liquid form.
3) Butyrate (ButyRen, Butyrex) - has helped with intestinal healing
4) Vitamin A - has improved my sleep
5) Vitamin C - immediate increase in energy, I take the powdered form
I also routinely take vitamin D3, vitamin E, magnesium and zinc (carnosine). I have never noticed any particular effect from taking these, but I know that I need them.
For specific symptoms, I also take the appropriate supplements. Carnitine, for example, was very useful for increasing muscle strength and appetite when I was severely ill. Ubiquinol (CoQ10) helped increase energy levels, as did D-Ribose. There have been many others.
Every person is a little different. With patience, perseverance, and a lot of trial-and-error, you will find your "top 5."
My best wishes for your speedy recovery!